Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Run with Heart

The experience of competing in an Ironman was invaluable.  Not only did it teach me that I could push myself physically to limits I never thought possible, but the emotional component was unparalleled.  I learned the true definition of words like dedication, perseverance, and discipline.

But if Ironman taught me anything, it was to never give up, to never stop believing; it taught me to be steadfast in my quest to succeed.

I couldn’t help but think of these qualities when I first heard about the Lugo Family, a local family in need.

Jayson Lugo is a six-month-old boy, fighting for survival at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, Florida.  He’s been in ICU since November with an enlarged heart, and is currently awaiting a heart transplant. 

His mother, Norma, has been at his side since he was hospitalized in November.  The Ronald McDonald House of Miami provides her with a room and hot meals, but she only stops by for brief periods of time to do laundry before she hurries back to her son’s side.  She is strong; she is dedicated; she perseveres in spite of adversity.

Jayson’s father is a farm laborer, working six days a week to support his family of five.  Jayson’s brother and sister go to school each day, they complete their chores, and they toil over their homework each night.  Like Norma, their determination and grit get them through each day in hopes that Jayson will be blessed with a miracle and a new heart.

Jayson has been fighting for his life for 6 months and he continues to inspire me each day.  

Join myself and fellow Cenegenics Elite Health Physicians and staff by signing up for Cenegenics’ Run with Heart 5k on February 15 at The Boca Raton Club & Resort.  All funds raised will go directly to the Lugo Family. 

You can also mail us your donations for the Lugo Family by making your check out to Ronald McDonald House Charities of South Florida and sending it to the address below.

The Boca Raton Club & Resort
C/O Cenegenics Elite Health
501 E Camino Real
Boca Raton, FL 33432


No comments:

Post a Comment