Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree

Life is a long and winding road, and sometimes the road splits off to create separate, equally exciting journeys. My son and grandson (both named after me) are doing their own thing, but, truth be told, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

As I make my own comeback to Hawaii, my son and grandson are following their own dreams while focusing on taking risks and staying fit.

My son has been coaching an athlete by the name of Eric Terlizzi, who recently ran in the "Raleigh Rocks" half-marathon. Here's a look at what he has to say about my son, "Ironman Bob," which can be read in it's entirety at Eric's blog:


Eric Terlizzi and my son, "Ironman Bob"

"I’ve never run an organized race before, but I’ve been training for quite a while.  As you may know by now, I’ve been on a fitness kick for about three years, trying loose weight and get healthy again.  So, the guys at school thought it would be a good idea if we did this race.  I mentioned it to my coach Bob, and he not only said “Do it!” but, “I’ll do it with you!”  Now THAT’S what I call a coach!

He helped me put together a training plan and race day strategy that really helped me stay motivated.  Every time he’d text me about the upcoming race, I swear I’d feel an adrenaline rush ,and I was ready to tear up some pavement.   I guess the old competitor in me came back!  Bob is THE man and I’m forever grateful for his influence in my life.  His family came as well and they were so encouraging."


Freshman management major Christopher A. ZIno and freshman geography major Robert D. Willix are preparing for a kayaking next summer that will take them through the Mississippi river. Their 60-day trip will take them from Minnesota to the Gulf of Mexico.  Drew Bennett  |  The Appalachian
That's Bobby on the left
Then there's my grandson, Bobby, who's embarking on quite the adventure of his own. On April 18, he was featured in The Appalachian, the college paper for Appalachian State University, for his plans to kayak the Mississippi River next summer. In the article, Bobby says, “Two normal people can do something cool. I am a completely average person.” Keep in mind, Bobby will not be the first person to complete this journey, but he will be the youngest.

Both Bobby and my son are perfect examples of what is possible when you test your limits and go for the impossible. Amazing things can and do happen every day. Keep that in mind as you plan your life's next adventure.

"The 4 Bobs," taken in 1999: Me (Bob Jr), Bob III, Bob Sr., and Bobby











1 comment:

  1. I concur, Dr. Willix! Your son Bob and grandson Bobby are clearly cut from good stock! Bob's quiet confidence and reputation led me to ask for help, and I wouldn't be the athlete I am today w/out his coaching.
    All the best,
    Eric Terlizzi

    ReplyDelete